Today turned into a really satisfying Sunday. When my alarm went off this morning I really didn't want to get out of bed. I lay there thinking about the list of things that would have to be accomplished before we left for our Sunday meeting and the potluck afterwards. Breakfast, picking out everyone's clothes, showers, combing hair, brushing teeth etc. and then the 40 minute drive to get there.
I was so tempted to roll over and go back to sleep, but then I thought about our two, sweet little girls. That would mean that they would miss playing with their friends. It would also leave me feeling guilty for the rest of the day, knowing that our family would have missed out on an opportunity to get encouragement for the week ahead. Luke had called last evening wondering if I would make Strawberry Pretzel Salad for the potluck, so I couldn't let him down now, could I?
We got to meeting about 5 minutes late and were sitting in the back of the room where I could look out and see everyone. It was then that a feeling of thankfulness washed over me. I am glad that God has put others that depend on me in my life. I am so prone to sabotage my own wellbeing for temporary ease and comfort. God seems to realize that I need others who count on me.
4 comments:
I am so glad you posted this. There have been a few Sundays where I have decided that I'm just too exhausted to go to meeting. And while I am tired a lot, that's no excuse not to get there especially now that we have Lucy depending on us. How will she get there and understand what it's all about if we don't take her? In the end that's what will save us too.
I appreciated you putting your thoughts on paper Stephanie (and Laura as well!) We all have our struggles and it gives us a lift when we get the victory! Love you so much!
Just started reading your blog, Stephanie....really appreciate what you wrote in this post. It is so true, and we'll never regret making the effort to go to meeting. There are those who are depending on us in various ways, especially our children. I know I appreciate many times all the efforts of my parents on my behalf.
Such a beautiful post. Isn't this what being a mother and a servant of god is really all about... being Selfless. Stephanie, this brought tears to my eyes. What you described is probably something so many of us face many sundays. Thank you for sharing this. (you should just "write" more often :)
Post a Comment