The up's, down's and in-betweens of daily life in the Lien household
.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Two Is Better Than One

When Rocky is traveling for work it seems like Thursday evening is the time when I want to call and say (and have several times) " can you please jump on a plane and come home early?" Of course I know this isn't even a possibility. When he is teaching a week long class he is busy right up until the time he heads to the airport. I wouldn't really want him to be irresponsible.

When the girls were younger I was usually just exhausted by that point in the week. I have a lot of empathy for single parents who have to raise children all on their own. I don't really understand of course, because I know that I have a wonderful husband coming home to me at the end of the week. He does a great job of providing for our family and I always know that he is just a phone call away if I need some support.

Now that Gracie is 7 and Emmy is 3 the difficulty of the day to day things is much less. They can both feed themselves, go to the bathroom, dress themselves and just don't need the constant attention like they did when they were babies. I don't struggle as much with trying to keep up with dishes, laundry and the house, because I can do these things while they are upstairs playing together. Now the reason that I want Rocky home as soon as possible is not because I need a break, it is because I just plain miss his company.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I did not know there was another out there in the same boat as myself. Bruce travels for work too! This is my first week home just me and the baby since Carter was born. I'll have to let you know how it goes. Most weeks (pre-baby) I lived for Thursday nights when Bruce got home. I am glad to have the company of my baby now, but I know that I will still miss Bruce horribly!

This is inspiring to me. If you can do it I can do it too! How long has Rocky been traveling? How do your little girls take it?